2015 NSLI-Y/CLCCM Travel and Study in China Scholarship
Frequently Asked Questions
2011 NSLI-Y PICTURES
2015 NSLI-Y PICTURES
National Security Language Initiative for Youth (NSLI-Y) is part of a multi-agency US government language initiative.
The purpose of the program is to prepare American citizens to be leaders in a global world. It is essential that Americans
have the necessary linguistic skills and cultural knowledge to promote international dialogues, support American engagement
abroad, and attain better understanding of global cultures and issues.
The Chinese Language and Culture Center of Maine (CLCCM) through NSLI-Y and American Councils provides merit-based
scholarships for eligible Maine high school students to learn Chinese language and culture in China in the summer 2015. NSLI-Y and CLCCM encourage
beginning, intermediate, and advanced language learners with a passion for learning languages, communicating across cultures,
and living abroad to apply. Previous language study is not a requirement and all levels of language ability are encouraged to
2014/08/05 Our Students Study Chinese and
Experience Chinese Culture in Huangshi, China
2014/07/11 Students bringing a piece of Bangor to sister city in Harbin, China
2012/02/27 Chinese exchange program expands for students, teachers, principals in Maine
2011/08/07 我在冰城有个“家” (Our NSLI-Y's Students in Harbin, China)
July 14-August 24, 2015
Beijing, Harbin, and Changsa, China
Twenty (20) eligible Maine high school students
• US Citizen
• 15 - 18.5 years old at start of program
• Currently enrolled in high school at time of application
• Minimum 2.5 GPA on a 4.0 scale
• Although previous language study is not a requirement, pre-departure intensive language trainng required.
What does the scholarship offer?
NSLI-Y/CLCCM scholarships provide recipients with a travel and study Chinese language and culture opportunity in China.
It is administered by CLCCM.
• Pre-departure orientation
• In-country orientation and support
• In-country language and cultural instruction with opportunities to apply acquired skills and knowledge
• Cultural excursions
• Community service projects
• Accommodations, with a host family or a host organization
• Alumni activities, including access to the U.S. Department of State's State Alumni online community
What costs are covered by the NSLI-Y scholarships?
The costs covered by the scholarship are:
• Round-trip international travel between Bangor and China, and in-country travel
• Tuition and academic materials and preparation in China
• In-country support
• Cultural activities
• Pre-departure and re-entry orientations
• Room and board
• Secondary medical benefits
What costs are not covered by the NSLI-Y scholarships?
The following costs are not covered:
• Costs associated with obtaining a U.S. passport
• Required medical examinations and immunizations
• Extra pocket money while on program
• Pre-departure language preparation
March 1, 2015
Address: NSLI-Y/CLCCM Scholarship, 53 Cumberland Street, Bangor, ME 04401